Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

The New Year in graciousness

Already we are four days into the new year and I am only now getting back to the blog. As with many folks over this holiday I spent a fair number of days flat out with a cold and no energy to write. But now...

I received several lovely and inspiring books at Christmas. It always seems a gift to hear and absorb the wisdom of good people. I would like to share from one of them: Made for Goodness by Desmond and Mpho Tutu and from a book of poetry I have had but not read for a while by Mary Oliver, called Thirst.

First, from Mary Oliver's book of poetry. You will perhaps be familiar with this poem - it is called When I am Among the Trees. The first two verses struck me as being perfect to begin the new year with for those of us who may find ourselves still rushing through life:

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
    but walk slowly, and bow often.

I find myself deeply touched by those last two lines. Can I learn to walk more slowly through the world and then, filled with wonder and gratitude, bow often. I sense that if we could do that, our world would be pretty close to perfect because there is such respect and thanksgiving.

And then from Desmond and Mpho Tutu's book which is about the beautiful generosity and graciousness of God's love. This too is a poem and they have introduced it by saying: But first turn with us into the stillness and listen to God speak with the voice of the heart:

Don't struggle and strive so, my child
There is no race to complete, no point to prove, no obstacle course to
  conquer for you to win my love.
I have already given it to you.   

Of course, you really want to read the whole of both these poems and indeed, both of these books. But what I read just filled me with a wonderful sense that the beginning of a new year can be immensely hopeful and immensely graceful no matter the state of the world around us.

(Thirst by Mary Oliver, Beacon Press, Boston, 2006;  Made for Goodness and why this makes all the difference by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu, HarperCollins, 2010)      

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Inspiring poems and a beautiful photo to accompany them. Taking time to notice and be grateful for the wonders of this world certainly makes life worthwhile. And it increases the likelihood that we will be able to bring more hope and grace into the world.