Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Anticipation and the Present Moment

For some time now I have been planning a very big trip. I am going back to England to visit the sisters with whom I lived for almost thirty years. I have been back before but this time feels different for some reason. I am very excited and the anticipation and what seems like a very slow passage of time is really putting me to the test.

The test I am being 'put to' is the whole issue of living as totally as possible in the present moment. I realised early on that I was going to have to undertake some serious attentiveness to keep myself here, now and not be dreaming of an as yet, unrealized future. It has been and still is, a really good exercise for me. 

All this is further enriched by my awareness as always now, of my age and the reality that there are not a lot of years ahead in comparison with what is 'behind' (is there an ahead and behind in time?) and that through the years I have missed a lot in my rush to get to whatever is planned for tomorrow. What a waste - rushing towards a non-existent future! But, once again, that man of wisdom, Thich Nhat Hanh comes to the rescue: 
 
'It's best not to lose ourselves in uncertainty and fear over the future, but if we're truly established in the present moment, we can bring the future to the here and the now, and make plans....the present moment contains both past and future. The only material that the future is made of is the present. If you know how to handle the present in the best way you can, that's all you can do for the future. Handling the present moment with all your attention, all your intelligence, is already building a future.' *

For me, this is very much a present-momentish image
So, I am trying to be grounded in the present; trying to be attentive to whatever is happening in my life now so that when (and I suppose, if) the trip happens I will not have 'wasted' any moment. All this is so contrary to my temperament that it is very much - and perhaps always will be - a work in progress.

*Thich Nhat Hanh: Your True Home, The everyday wisdom of TNH, Shambhala, Boston and London, 2011.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I love that TNH quote. Time can be such a difficult concept to live with. Fears about meeting deadlines for instance can make otherwise good things, such as the changes that come with the seasons, less enjoyable because they remind one that time is passing. I guess that's the opposite problem to yours in which you wish time would pass more quickly. But in both cases, I think it is comforting to remember that the present is what determines the future and the present is all we've got, so we might as well pay attention to our current moments. I like the way this doesn't diminish the future, but just puts it in perspective. There is nothing wrong with being excited about your trip and anticipating it. That can bring you pleasure right now. You just don't want to diminish your appreciation for the time you've got before the trip.