Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Gift of Weakness

The photo here is of some of my oldest and closest friends at the L'Arche community in Burnaby, B.C. My gratitude for their friendship and for all that I have learned from them is huge.


Though I no longer live in this community I am part of it. I helped found it and I am what is called a 'spiritual member' which is something I am also so very grateful for. It means that my vocation of prayer includes the commitment to pray for them; to ask God to help them through the hard times, to fill them with joy for all times and to let them be a little light in our world.

Here is something that Jean Vanier who is the founder of L'Arche, has written:

[In L'Arche] there are all the ups and downs of life, the disappointments, misunderstandings, disagreements and even conflicts. But that is very human and natural. We come from different backgrounds , cultures and faith traditions and have different temperaments. But we are seeking to love one another and to create in this broken world of ours a tiny place that radiates love and forgiveness and a desire for unity...My experience is that the God of love and the love of God are hidden in those who are weak and vulnerable, in our own weakness and vulnerability; God is hidden in our communities...I take rest and joy from that. *

Most of us don't see any gift in our weakness and vulnerability. In fact, we do all we can to be strong and in control. But the reality remains that we are in fact not in control. I think L'Arche teaches us that it is when we are willing to let go of the effort to control, to embrace our own and other people's weakness (and strength) and to be willing to be vulnerable and to share our gifts as we journey along the road together, then we move forward in joy.
* Jean Vanier: Our Life Together, A Memoir in Letters, Darton, Longman and Todd Ltd., London, 2007

1 comment:

Cathy said...

What a beautiful picture and message! I think being able to accept our own weakness and vulnerability can help us to be more accepting of others and also to realize that we need each other. We inter-are. By pooling our strengths and learning what our weaknesses can teach us, we can move towards a more joyful world.