Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Celebration

This last weekend was a very special one in my family. It was the Bat Mitzvah of my great-niece Michal and her friend Karuna. I had never attended a Bat Mitzvah before - in part I guess, because it is only fairly recently that Judaism has recognized that girls should have this rite of passage as well as boys. 

We arrived at the place where the ceremony was to take place - a Unitarian Church! This small Reconstructionist community is, I gather, too small to have their own synagogue so they share with the Unitarians. I think this is a marvellous gift of ecumenism. As I understand it, Reconstructionist Judaism is trying to adapt to 21st century people perhaps both in liturgy and in lifestyle. All I can say is that it was a very 'community' gathering, a very welcoming one and a very reverent one. 

This particular day was the Sabbath and also the celebration of Succoth which I think is also called the feast of Tabernacles. So the service was very long - from about 9:30 to just after 1 pm. I can honestly say that there was not a moment when I felt restless and wondering when it was going to end. It was a service rich in joy and thanksgiving and even, mourning. Michal and Karuna (whose name means compassion) each had to chant in Hebrew a passage from the Torah which I imagine was not at all easy. They had been preparing for a year! Then later each had to read a reflection they had written on the passage they had read and leave the congregation with some questions to discuss. Michal had recited the passage where Moses asks to see God and God says no but stand here and I will go by and (basically) you can see my back. Karuna had recited the passage where God writes a second set of tablets after the first had been smashed.

It was interesting to hear what each of the girls made of the passages and the questions that came to them. Michal, if I understand correctly, was raising questions about seeing God or not seeing God, imagination and reality and the role of imagination in faith. (I am not doing her justice I'm afraid). Karuna was sharing some of her own questions about whether she even believed in God and why she continued to the end in this journey to her Bat Mitzvah. After each talk there was a lively and thoughtful discussion from anyone who chose to respond.

Both before and after there were innumerable celebrations and meals and parties and I was deeply moved by the strength and joy of the family life of this small congregation. I was also tremendously impressed by the maturity not only of Michal and Karuna but of the other 13 year olds who were their friends and relatives. If our world is to be in their hands then I feel very much more at peace. It is not that they will be without weakness or difficulty but that they seem to be thoughtful and kind now and one can believe that that will continue into adulthood. 

1 comment:

steve said...

The best response i thought to Karuna’s questioning God’s existence was her adopted grandmother standing up and saying that because Karuna exists there must be a God.