Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Even more thoughts about being 'ordinary'.

Some months ago I shared some of my thoughts about the folks who stand at the streetcar stop across the street. They are a tiny, tiny sample of people who, every day of the work week , come to the stop, pretty much stand in the same place, talk to the same people, get on the streetcar and go off...where? I do not know.

One of the things that always interests me about our lives is the ordinariness of them - and it seems to me once again, that these men and women are reflecting the ordinary in a very beautiful way. What do I mean?

Looked at as a group the people who stand at the stop probably live pretty routine lives . They are not likely known to a huge number of other people the way a celebrity or a major businessperson or a politician might be known. But I do wonder if they reflect on the meaning of the life they are living; of the meaning of standing at the streetcar stop everyday at the same time with pretty much the same people? Do they find their lives interesting? exciting? I of course, have no idea and I would love to ask them. I would also want to ask them about their dreams - for themselves, for their families, for our country, for our world. 

I think what strikes me time and time again is that our world is, essentially, made up of us very ordinary people, doing ordinary things. That is what holds up this world. That is the substance of human life. So why don't we see the beauty in it, the beauty in each unique person?  

Sadly, right now it seems to me we live at a time when ordinary is disparaged. Many young people for instance, want to be celebrities because those are the folks who get all the media attention. In fact, it may be that this cult of celebrity makes it hard for most of us to value who we are precisely because we are 'only' ordinary.

But I said earlier that the people standing across the street reflect 'ordinary' in a very beautiful way and as I said, I wish we could all see the beauty. Because if ordinary is what we are, then ordinary must be very special indeed. Each single one of us, whatever we do, whatever our life experience, whatever our ability, age, race, culture, work - or not - is part of the building block of our human existence, of the journey of our world. We matter. We make a difference by being alive, by doing what we have to do, by being good friends, good neighbours, good lovers (in the broadest sense of that word).

The ordinary is full of life. Just look around and see it, it will fill you with wonder at all we might be missing. For instance, back to those folks at the stop. Each one has his or her own way of reflecting her or his uniqueness and humanity. Even if it is never articulated each one struggles in the midst of whatever life is giving them at the moment, to say somehow, both to themselves and to others, I matter, I am someone worthy of your respect. I am the beauty of the ordinary. 

 

 

 

No comments: