Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Thanksgiving

Last weekend was Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. It really is a time, a bit like Christmas, when family becomes a focus. Many people who can, share a festive meal with family and maybe others who have none or are alone. It seems to be a time for sharing a meal and giving thanks for all that we have. 

But several days after, I was on the subway on my way to my volunteer work and I was standing beside a woman who looked utterly miserable. She looked incredibly tired and sad and almost, I would say, hopeless. Her nose at one time had obviously been broken and I wondered how or perhaps, who? At that moment I thought how easy it is for me to be thankful for family and sharing and the joy of friendship but what was it like for her - and for so many others? 

I have said before how challenging I find it to recognize the injustice of birth in this world. I can take no credit for being born with all I need. She did nothing to deserve being born into a life that was, perhaps, all struggle and even brutality. It is at the very least for me, a reminder that because we did nothing to deserve our birth gifts we do have to recognize our responsibility to work to make this a world in which everyone has all that enables them to flourish...We don't have to be rich in money or things, but I think everyone needs, indeed deserves, to be rich in love and peace and care. It is perhaps something we can help one another to achieve.

Finally, I just wanted to share another gift for which I do not know how to speak enough of my gratitude. For, during the month of September I was visiting the United Kingdom. That is to say, I was mostly visiting friends and most especially, the Sisters with whom I had shared some or most of my 30 years there - and several other friends associated with that life. It was an absolutely wonderful visit, indeed it was perfect. Two things struck me as most wonderful: the abundant hospitality that people offered and the gracious gift of friendship. I am so thankful. And thankful too...


For beauty
For family
And more beauty
For tranquility

For each one's beautiful humanity


1 comment:

Cathy said...

It is so easy, isn't it, to forget how fortunate we are in so many ways. Evan if we aren't rich by western standards, we are very rich in the context of the wider world. Even small donations to worthy causes can have a big impact both for those less fortunate and also for ourselves. Giving to others brings joy to the giver too.